So, you have the land development bug. You have the urge to create and land will be your canvas. Maybe you inherited some raw land and, rather than simply sell it, you want to see what you can do with it. Maybe you have been driving to work every day for the past year and you pass by this vacant lot that just screams, “shopping plaza” to you.
Developing land can be a fun and enjoyable way to invest in real estate. If you are the type of person that likes to do projects (i.e., have a beginning, a middle, and an end), are organized, creative and a good manager, then land development may be for you.
Let an experienced investor guide you through an objective look at what it takes to develop land and get it ready for a builder. What are the steps involved? What are the pitfalls to watch out for? Learn practical tips that will make you more money, and just as importantly, teach you how not to lose money. Using actual case studies, from the authors own portfolio, learn how this advice works in the real world.
Whether you are just getting started or have years of experience, benefit from the wealth of advice in this book. Learn the details of the ‘Planning’, ‘Design’ and ‘Construction’ stages, as well as how to acquire a great property and finance your project. You will then be in a position to go out and invest on your own, with confidence.
This book is written to benefit the following people:
- People who are looking to do their first development. Maybe you have always dreamed of developing land or maybe you inherited some land and, instead of simply selling it, you have decided to do something with it,
- People who may have some experience but are looking to understand the process better. Maybe your engineer did most of the work on your first project and you didn’t really understand what was going on behind the scenes,
- People who want to do land development for other people as a business. You could do everything in the book and charge a developer’s fee, usually a percentage of the total project cost. You may even share in the profits.
- Professionals / engineers who may be looking to give a non-technical primer to their clients so they can better understand the process.
Over the years Darcy Marler has had first-hand experience in almost every aspect of the real estate investing world including fix-and-flips, new construction, land development, condo conversion, long term rentals, commercial and land parceling. Having owned more than 90 properties, with over 240 units over his investing career, Darcy is just the person to show you what is possible.
From a Dream to Design to Reality, good luck on your journey.
Table of Contents:
- The Planning (Dreaming) Stage,
- The Land Acquisition Stage,
- The Design Stage,
- The Construction (Reality) Stage,
- Budgeting & Financing,
- A Bonus Case Study,
- From Dream to Design to Reality,
- Closing Remarks,
Land Development as a Profitable Investment
This is the PDF version of the book available for download.
5.5" x 8.5"